Backyard gazebo

Backyard gazebo
Enjoying a cup at home

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Foong's

If you are new to PE, here on vacation, or just passing through, a visit to Foong's will make you feel like a long time resident and old friend.  Grant Foong, the owner of Foong's, personally welcomes all patrons, and is sure to visit every table for a quick chat.  The positive energy in this shop is a result of Grant's hospitable manner as well as that of the whole staff, including Luvuyo, the barista, and chefs, Nina and Adrian.

Foong's is a long time family owned and operated business located in the Emerald Square Shopping Centre on Buffelsfontein Rd. in Mount Pleasant.  Traditional and Asian style breakfast is served all day.  Lunch with an Asian flair is served from 11:00 a.m.  Pastries made on site or provided by other local businesses as well as packaged Asian food products are available for sale.  Keeping in line with supporting local businesses, Foong's uses a "secret" coffee blend supplied by Masterton's with Foong's specifically in mind.  According to Grant, Foong's and Masterton's have had a decades long relationship that is mutually beneficial.  We have had a variety of different brands of coffee since "The Crawl" started and I have become a real fan of Masterton's.

Grant seated this week's crawlers at his "Cherry Blossom" mosaic tile table.  (This is the closest I'll get this year to the Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington, DC.  Word has it that this is peak week for the blossoms.  So, to Liz, Amanda, Marleah, and Chris... enjoy and take lots of pics!)

Foong's barista, Luvuyo, delivered cappuccinos to crawlers June and Howard Nash, and Stella and Beryl Dawson, and black coffees to Fran and Keith deBeer.  I got my usual cappuccino.  Grant stopped by the table bearing trays of bowties and low-fat cheesecakes (check out the picture, I'm not convinced about the low-fat part!).  Fran and I broke the "No Food On The Crawl" rule and sampled the bowties; everyone else showed a little more restraint.  I even bought some bowties to bring home for dessert.  I may have to employ my Dad's MO tonight.... "the heck with dinner, let's go straight for the good stuff!"

Fun and good conversation (though, for some reason, the subject of brothels kept popping up) was had by all.  Foong's is a bright and happy place for both the patrons and staff... a great combination that made for a very successful coffee crawl.  Thank you to Grant and staff for making us feel at home!!!

By the way, you should definitely check out Foong's very cool and user friendly web page at:  http://www.foongs.co.za/
I went on the site...it is awesome!...includes cooking tips, recipes, history of Foong's, and complimentary games! ... I love "Simon," "Pacman," and the others... now, I'm hooked!!!
"FOONG'S - FOREVER AND INTO THE FUTURE"

A few notes -
* In the intro to my blog, I mention that writing this blog may improve my computer and photograpy skills.  That is yet to be determined..... Little did I anticipate, though, what an impact it would have on the drought that has stricken PE for years!  It seems that almost every Thursday since The Crawl started the area experiences rain... today being no exception.  Whatever works!!!
* Some people here have requested that I mention in my posting where I'll be "crawling" the next week in case they would like to join me.  So, at the expense of giving away secrets, but for the benefit of potential crawlers, I will be at Vovo Telo next Thursday morning at 9:30 a.m.  See you there!

Until next week,

Ellen






Meet the Owner
Grant Foong



Meet the Barista
Luvuyo

Thiw Week's Crawlers
Howard, June, Stella, Beryl, Ellen, Fran, Keith

3 comments:

  1. Well now that you gave away where your going... maybe I'll join you???? They better have tea though!!!! (Wishful thinking here in AZ!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a lovely write up on foongs! how about a visit to Park Lane cafe near st georges! great coffee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this blog. I just found it from following the link on Port Elizabeth Daily Photo's website.

    I have lived in PE basically my whole life and I think you have already been to more places than I have. I have never even heard of Foongs. Will have to give it a try.

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete