Backyard gazebo

Backyard gazebo
Enjoying a cup at home

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Angel Foods

The coffee shop gods were smiling down on this week's coffee crawlers as we made our way to Angel Foods Greek Confectionery Coffee Shop.  The shop's logo, which reads, "Angel Foods...a taste of heaven," is spot on.  The coffee, pastries, and lunches are out-of-this-world delicious!

I was joined this week by Stella Dawson, Beryl Dawson, and Beth Vieira.  Beth got her usual black coffee and the rest of us had cappuccinos.  The coffees were served with Greek orange twists on the side...YUM!  I have to make sure, on my next visit to Angel Foods, to ask owner, Yiota Kieck, where I might get my hands on some Urban Espress coffee beans...tremendous flavor! 

A good cup of coffee doesn't make itself.  Not only did Noxolo, the barista, whip up a mean cappuccino though, she also was patient with me as I practiced pronouncing her Xhosa name (which includes a click).  The clicks in the Xhosa language give me a rough time but I'm working at it.  Needless to say, after a number of my feeble and unsuccessful attempts, Noxolo told me (with a smile) that I could call her Nox.

Angel Foods has been at its location in the Perridgevale Shopping Centre on Rochelle Rd. for two years.  The shop is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 to 5:30.  They serve home cooked muffins, preserves, pastries, and lunches to eat in or take out.  All these items can be bought frozen for an easy meal later on or for fresh baked goodies when guests come around.  The shop also caters events / corporate functions with their specialty Greek foods or from their regular menu.

After the other crawlers left, I stayed and did some shopping...guess what's for dinner, Lou?  Actually, everything looked so appetizing but I decided on beef lasagne and roasted vegetables.  I also picked up some baklava and Greek shortbreads along with frozen custard triangles that I'll pop in the oven and serve as my own next week for guests (is that cheating? ... the devil made me do it!)  Many of you reading this know that I love to bake...well, I have just found a reason to stop.  These pastries are to die for... well worth the extra steps on the Stairmaster!  Angel Food has just found its newest fan.  I plan to make many return visits.

Thank you to Yiota and staff for the wonderful coffee and for being co-conspirators in fooling my guests next week.  I'll eventually give you credit but let me bask in the compliments for a bit!

The coffee gods weren't the only ones in town today... the rain gods paid a visit and supplied some much needed precipitation to the PE area.  Thanks!

Until next week,

Ellen



Meet the Owner
Yiota Kieck




Meet the Barista
Noxolo Zondani



Thiw Week's Crawlers
Beth, Stella, Beryl


1 comment:

  1. A man practices the art of adventure when he breaks the chain of routine and renews his life through reading new books, traveling to new places, making new friends, taking up new hobbies and adopting new viewpoints.
    Flights to Harare
    Cheap Flights to Harare
    Cheap Air Tickets to Harare

    ReplyDelete