Backyard gazebo

Backyard gazebo
Enjoying a cup at home

Friday, April 22, 2011

Cobblestone Bakery

Okay, so I got a late start on this week's posting, and the president of my blog's fan club (that would be my father-in-law) has really been putting the pressure on!!!  Well, Easter is fast approaching and I have been busy about the task of scouring the city for jelly beans, chocolate rabbits, Easter lilies, and an egg coloring kit.  Needless to say, this week blogging has taken a back seat to playing Easter Bunny.

Holidays are special times to spend with family and friends.  This week's coffee crawl visit to Cobblestone Bakery definitely got this Easter season off to a great start!  Crawlers on Thursday included two sets of sisters, Stella and Beryl Dawson, and Prudie Brown and Fran deBeer.  Also joining us this week was The Crawl's first 3-generation group, Barbara Horwood (who plays drums in the PE Caledonian Bagpipe Band), her daughter Melanie Morgan, and her granddaughter Zoe Morgan.  Six-week-old Zoe has officially replaced Fr. Dominic Griego as the youngest coffee crawler, though I think Fr. D can argue the point as Zoe didn't order coffee.  Rounding out the group was June Nash, Sylvia Mynhardt, Beth Vieira, and Colleen LeRoux.

Barista, Phumelelo (aka Phumi) made Caffe Molinari Americanos, lattes, and beautiful cappuccinos for everyone.  Oh, except Barbara, who stepped out of the box and ordered a Vietnamese iced coffee.  This was quite new to me so I watched intently as Barbara poured hot Vietnamese coffee over sweetened condensed milk on ice... interesting... I'll have to try one someday.

Now, in keeping with the family theme, Cobblestone Bakery, located at 40 6th Ave. in Walmer, is owned by Sean Brice, while the paintings on the walls are compliments of his brother, Brent Brice.  Sean oversees the baking of fresh breads and pastries (and bagels!... more about that in a minute...) and Brent sells his amazing paintings of local scenes.  Brent, if the Lighthouse painting wasn't already sold I would have purchased it on the spot!  Brent is quite the talented artist, so, stop by the shop, have a pastry, and check out his artwork.  Also for sale at the shop is fantastic jewelry made by a local woman.  It is displayed in a glass case near the baked goods and, like the pastries, looks too good to pass up!

Now, about those bagels.  I have been in search of a bagel here in PE that comes close to Wegman's (in the U.S.) bagels but with no luck...until Thursday!   Thank you, Sean, my search is over!  In Sean's words, "They are proper bagels; they're boiled."  I bought a few to take home.  Lou and I are in agreement that these bagels are the best we've tasted...ever...move over, Danny Wegman!  Sean, I'll definitely be back for more!!!

From the outside Cobblestone appears small with limited parking, but there is a back lot with extra parking and, once inside, the bakery is quite roomy with plenty of tables for breakfast and lunch patrons.  The staff is very pleasant.  I must give extra kudos to our waiter, Louis, who was extremely patient as our group outgrew our chosen table. 

During our visit, Colleen met up with an acquaintance who happened to be having coffee with her "Friendship Group" at another table.  (Cobblestone was hopping that day!)  I chatted with the group for a bit, they posed for a pic, and then even chose next week's PE Coffee Crawl site!  I gave them a choice of two and the decision was unanimous.  Perhaps we'll see a few of the "Friendship Group" ladies there.  Remember, Thursday, 9:30 am.  You are all most welcome to join us.

On returning to the table I found the discussion to be about the crawlers' favorite board games.  As I write this I get a bit sentimental because holidays and board games go hand-in-hand in my family.  This Sunday I am sure I'll miss sitting around the dining room table playing a rousing game of "Apples to Apples" with everyone.  Just know that I am there in spirit.  I guess I'll just have to spend Sunday kicking Lou's butt in "Scrabble" or "Backgammon!"

As for my search for the Easter items mentioned earlier, I thank June for bringing Easter joy and jelly beans for all the crawlers...I couldn't find jelly beans in the stores.  I was, however, able to get a chocolate rabbit and some Easter lilies, though the egg coloring kit eluded me.  So, I bought some beets and am planning to boil the eggs right in with the beets.  Considering the eggs are brown to start with I'm not really sure how all this will work out!?!  I'll keep you all posted.

To everyone reading this posting, enjoy your holiday with family and friends and I wish you all a Happy and Blessed Easter season.

Until next week,

Ellen



This Week's Crawlers
Stella, June, Colleen, Beth, Fran, Beryl, Sylvia, Prudie, Barbara, Melanie

Meet the Owner
Sean Price


Meet the Barista
Phumelelo




Melanie and Barbara breaking the No-Food-On-The-Crawl rule


The Friendship Group

3 comments:

  1. Happy Easter to all the crawlers and their families! Sounds like you found the place for bagels! And what a cutie who owns the place.... Liz had best watch out when she gets there! Sorry you didn't let me know you couldn't find an egg dying kit, I would have mailed you one with all the other necessities you've lacked over the past number of months!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I found your blog, but I wish you had brought over the peanut butter cookies a week earlier I could have given you one of the 2 egg dying kits we brought with us from Canada. I never did use them as we couldn't find white eggs either. I'll make sure to join you some time soon when the kids are settled in school. Next year we'll set a date to dye eggs white or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, i have more of a question then a comment. Do you by any chance have regular backgammon games going on at your cafe? Im dying to meet some other lovers of the game!! Would be fantastic to finally have found a place where one can have cofee and play a great game of backgammon!

    ReplyDelete