Backyard gazebo

Backyard gazebo
Enjoying a cup at home

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Keg and Swan - Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Failte and top o' the mornin' to ya!  Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!

With today being St. Patrick's Day I had to forego my usual visit to a local coffee shop and head straight to a pub.  Finding a place that was open and serving Irish coffee at 10:00 a.m. proved to be a bit of a challenge.  I was fortunate, though, to find that Charles Raven, the barista and kitchen manager at Keg and Swan, was more than willing to accommodate this week's coffee crawl group.

Keg and Swan is a Pub/Restaurant located in the Sunridge Village Shopping Centre on Kragga Kamma Rd. in Sunridge.  Lou and I have had some very good dinners there while watching sporting events of some sort or another with a fun and rowdy crowd.  This morning, Keg and Swan was offering a special St. Patrick's Day breakfast (with or without Guinness!). 

This week's crawlers chose not to partake of breakfast but rather get right down to business.  Donned in green and wearing shamrocks everyone was in the mood to celebrate.  Joining me today were: Margaret Zoetmulder, Colleen LeRoux, Audrey Kerford, Dale Mitchell, Ellen Kook, Sheilah Riley, Margaret Dawson, Stella Dawson, Beryl Dawson, June Nash, Deirdre Hurter, Clary Hurter, Beth Vieira, Angela Caldeira, and Fr. Dominic Griego.  Thank you all for celebrating with me today.

Those who ordered cappuccinos or Irish coffee (that would be me) enjoyed very delicious Sumatran Pride beverages.  I also noticed at the table a Guinness or two and various other potent potables (that's the Jeopardy! fan coming out in me).  Irish music performed by "Kilrush" (via my ipod) provided the entertainment.  (Tim, Chris, and Dirk - Your Keltoi Anam CD has always been a favorite of mine.  It was nice to hear "Friends and Companions" as I am 10,000 miles from home on this St. Pat's Day.  Thanks for a great song!)

A few of us (who will remain nameless) stayed for a night cap (what?!?...it wasn't even noon yet!).  After all, it wouldn't be St. Patrick's Day for me without a morning Bailey's and a few off-color jokes. 

So, a huge thank you goes out to Charles Raven, barista, kitchen manager, waiter, and all around great guy... you're the man!  By the way, Charles, I really meant it when I threatened to bring my bagpipe next year!  Thanks also to Keg and Swan owner, David Goldberg, for being a gracious host...Lou and I will see you tonight!  One more thank you goes out to Angela Caldeira who took the great picture of all the celebrants after my efforts failed to cut the mustard.

A special Happy St. Patrick's Day to my brothers and sisters, my children and grandchildren, and all the descendants of Buzz and Katie O'Hara... Slainte!!!

May the road rise to meet you, May the wind be always at your back, May the sun shine warm upon your face, The rains fall soft upon your fields, And, until we meet again, May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Until next week,

Ellen



Meet the Owner
David Goldberg


Meet the Barista
Charles Raven





Thiis Week's Crawlers


3 comments:

  1. Happy St. Patty's day!!! Glad to hear you got into the holiday spirit there in SA!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks almost as crowded as Sullivan's!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you dont have to worry about slipping on ice on St Patricks Day in SA. hahaha

    ReplyDelete