Backyard gazebo

Backyard gazebo
Enjoying a cup at home

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Deli on Main

I'm starting off today's posting by wishing a Happy 23rd Birthday to my son, Jeff.  He is presently a grad student at Georgia Tech studying aerospace engineering (Go Yellowjackets!).  Have a good one, Jeff, and we hope the surprise is delivered on time!

Jeff actually spent a few summers working as a barista at Heavenly Cup, a great coffee shop in Painted Post, NY.  So, should you ever find yourself in the Corning / Painted Post, NY area, stop in, have a coffee, and tell Doug, Gail, and the crew we said hi.

Okay, so back to the subject at hand...

This week's visit was to a coffee shop called Deli on Main.  It is in the 9th Ave. Shopping Plaza in the Walmer area of PE on the corner of 9th and Main Streets.  I was joined this morning by Beth Vieira, Fran de Beer, The Mona Lisa, and Ken Stewart.  Visiting this particular shop was Ken's suggestion.  Ken is the owner of a second hand book store called "Classics" located in the same shopping plaza.  I stopped in his shop a few weeks ago looking for a copy of The Gulag Archipelago and Ken was able to find it very quickly for me.  I have been looking for it forever.  I also picked up a Michener book titled On Sport.  (Michener was a fairly decent athlete and an avid sports fan...who knew???  Well, maybe my brother-in-law, Roger knew,,, but who else?)  Anyway, if you're looking for a hard-to-find or out-of-print book check out "Classics."

So, Deli on Main is a great place with a friendly and fun atmosphere, good service, and plenty of available parking.  It is a coffee shop that also sells refurbished antiques provided by "Crank designs."  These antiques aren't stodgy, dusty pieces but rather fun and fresh collectibles.  Jennifer Kerr, the owner, says that the shop's decor is always changing as the antiques are sold and replaced by others.  I have my eye on a few pieces there and I'm not even an antique fan.  (Love the abacus, Jennifer!).

The barista, Thabo (pronounced tah - bow), was very busy but he was able to chat for a minute and we got a nice pic of him preparing our Sumatran blend coffees.

Today, I was the only one who ordered cappuccino.  It was wonderful...large cup and lots of foam...it doesn't get any better than that!  The verdict on the regular coffees was a definite thumbs up!  Fran says that she won't be getting another cappuccino until after her son's wedding on March 19 (Congrats and Best Wishes to Paul and Theresa!!!).

Deli on Main serves breakfast and lunch.  They also cater any size gathering, event, or corporate function.  They are a one stop shop for all your coffee, food, and catering needs.  I haven't had a good Eggs Benedict in a while so I'll definitely be visiting again soon.  Beth, Fran, and Ken are sure to be return customers.

Thank you, Ken, for suggesting Deli on Main and thanks also to Jennifer who took the time to talk to me even though a major catering order was being prepped.

Until next week,

Ellen



Meet the Owner
Jennifer Kerr



.

Meet the Barista
Thabo

This Week's Crawlers
Ken, Ellen, The Mona Lisa, Fran, Beth


2 comments:

  1. I have a copy of Gulag Archipelago, but it took so darn long to read that I couldn't imagine how many cups of coffee it would take to get through it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So when we come to visit (hopefully soon), will I be able to get a good cup of tea or do I have to go with the high octane coffee and cappuccino?

    ReplyDelete