Backyard gazebo

Backyard gazebo
Enjoying a cup at home

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

The Flying Penguin - Crawl #54 Revisited

The Flying Penguin Cafe is located in the SAMREC building 
Hahaha






















One of the many things I love about PE is its proximity to the water.  PE residents are sooooo fortunate to have the ocean right in their own backyards.  Every opportunity that Lou and I have we head to the shore to walk, swim, hike, or just gaze out at the waves.  I so enjoy the Coffee Crawls when we are at or near the water, and there have been quite a few, including our January 15 Crawl which took us to Cape Recife for our shop #54 revisit.



Just hanging out enjoying the sunshine!
SAMREC operates solely on
donations and volunteer work























In March 2012 we first visited The Flying Penguin located in the SAMREC building at Cape Recife (see March, 2012 post).   SAMREC (South African Marine Rehabilitation and Education Centre) houses ailing and injured marine creatures, mainly penguins, at the facility.  Locals and tourists flock to SAMREC for an opportunity to see the African penguins up close.  The Flying Penguin Cafe offers beverages, light lunches, and a variety of cakes to the SAMREC visitors.
The Flying Penguin owner, Michelle Brackenridge, acts as chef, baker, barista, and waitron for the cafe's patrons.  Quite the busy lady!






In keeping with the SAMREC and ocean theme, the cafe is decorated with ocean artwork and photography along with outrageously creative crafts incorporating just about anything to do with marine life.  The Crawlers especially like the glass top tables showing off a variety of shells found right at Cape Recife.  It's definitely worth the trip just to check out these tables!



Glass top display table


Another table displaying more shells from Cape Recife


The shop seats about thirty guests in a bright and airy dining room overlooking the penguin rocks and pool....the perfect way to finish off your visit to SAMREC.  The Flying Penguin's hours are Tues - Sun, 10-4.  Call Michelle at 041 583 1830 or 084 869 2741 for a booking.

We had a large group, including two newcomers, at The Flying Penguin Crawl.  Crawlers Margaret Zoetmulder, Dale Mitchell, newcomer Sharon Helm, Nomusa Nkomo, Nicolette Hijmans, Margaret and Arthur Marshall, Leanne Waller and her sons Daniel and Luke, June Nash, Elize Pretorius and her newcomer friend Zdenka, Vicki Minnaar, Pierrette De Winne, Colleen Le Roux, Sylvia Mynhardt, Stella and Beryl Dawson enjoyed the gorgeous summer day watching the penguins while Daniel and Luke got to assist the SAMREC volunteers.  When the outside activities were over, we all settled inside for Masterton's coffee, cake, and conversation.  Everyone was anxious to hear all about Dale's new great-grandson.  He was less than a week old on Crawl day but Dale and Sharon (the grandmother) already had so many stories to tell!



This Week's Crawlers
Zdenka, Margaret Z., June, Arthur, Elize, Nicolette,
Vicki, Sylvia, Margaret M., Colleen, Leanne, Luke,
Daniel, Stella, Beryl, Nomusa, Dale
not pictured - Sharon and Pierrette


Another topic of conversation at my end of the table ended up being, of all things, road kill!  I have observed in my almost 5 years of living in SA that there is much less road kill visible here on the roads than in the States.  Hmmmmmm?  Anyway, I went on to tell the Crawlers about my contribution to the NY road kill one winter when I hit 5 white-tail deer in less than a month.  My neighbors dubbed me "The Deer Slayer," giving Natty Bumppo some competition.
Always riveting conversation at the Crawl!

All in all it was a wonderful morning spent in the company of our African penguin friends.  I'm definitely looking forward to more Crawls at the beach!


~Thank you to Michelle for hosting such a large group!
~Belated happy birthday wishes to my sister, Elaine, in Erie, PA - January 23
~Belated happy birthday wishes to my father-in-law and president of the PECC fan club, Sabie, in
  Binghamton, NY - January 24

Until next week,

Ellen














3 comments:

  1. Hi my name is Maritsa just moved to Port Elizabeth from pretoria in november and love coffee . I would love to join the nexxt coffee crawl if possible to make new friends and to get to know PE a bit better. Could you kindly please send me some info:-)
    Maritsa van Zyl I am on facebook and my mail adress is maritsavanzyl@yahoo.com
    Regards Maritsa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man I miss those penguins. But I don't like that you were talking about roadkill on penguin day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How Lemeridian funding service  grant me a loan!!!

    Hello everyone, I'm Lea Paige Matteo from Zurich Switzerland and want to use this medium to express gratitude to lemeridian funding service for fulfilling his promise by granting me a loan, I was stuck in a financial situation and needed to refinance and pay my bills as well as start up a Business. I tried seeking for loans from various loan firms both private and corporate organisations but never succeeded and most banks declined my credit request. But as God would have it, I was introduced by a friend named Lisa Rice to Le_meridian funding service and undergone the due process of obtaining a loan from the company, to my greatest surprise within 48hrs just like my friend Lisa, I was also granted a loan of $216,000.00 So my advise to everyone who desires a loan, "if you must contact any firm with reference to securing a loan online with low interest rate of 1.9% and better repayment plans/schedule, please contact Le_meridian funding service. Besides, he doesn't know that am doing this but due to the joy in me, I'm so happy and wish to let people know more about this great company whom truly give out loans, it is my prayer that GOD should bless them more as they put smiles on peoples faces. You can contact them via email on {lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com Or lfdsloans@outlook.com} or Text through Whatsapp +1-989 394 3740.

    ReplyDelete