Backyard gazebo

Backyard gazebo
Enjoying a cup at home

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

The Bay Leaf - Crawl #53 Revisited

Happy 2015 to one and all from the PE Coffee Crawlers!




January 1 fell on a Thursday, our usual Crawl day, bur since most of the Crawlers didn't get home from the New Year's party until 3 a.m. or later, no one was going to drag out of bed for coffee at 9.  January 8, then was the first Crawl of 2015.




The Crawlers started off the new year with a revisit to shop #53, The Bay Leaf in the MetLife Plaza near Makro.  When we first visited The Bay Leaf in February, 2012 it was a relatively new coffee shop having opened for business just three months prior.  Now, almost three years later, the shop is going strong.  Everything is pretty much the same as how I wrote it up on my February, 2012 post, a hard copy of which is framed and hanging on a wall in the shop!  So, you can check out my first Bay Leaf post in the PECC archives on your computer or just stop by the shop and read it there....after you've ordered the R30 Coffee/Cake Special or something else from the bakery or the extensive menu.

The only change, besides staffing, that I noticed is that The Bay Leaf now offers Peacock brand coffee.  Baristas Thule and Dolly definitely make a good strong cuppa Peacock!  Nice job ladies!


Peacock cappuccino



Yummy Mozart Cake!





















The Bay Leaf's hours are Mon-Fri, 8-7; Sat, 8-6; Sun, 8-4.  Call 041 360 7494 for a booking, take away orders, or to get info on hosting your next function at The Bay Leaf.



Meet The Bay Leaf manager and baristas
Dolly, Cherese, Thule


Meet our waiter
Joel with all the delicious baked goods!

One of the many reasons that I started this blog when I moved to PE was so that I could learn my way around the city.  Overall, that has pretty much worked for me.  After almost four years of Crawling,  I often get asked by long time PE residents where some "off-the-beaten-path" place is (coffee shop or otherwise).  With over 100 coffee shops as my reference I can usually answer with a high degree of confidence.
However, my mind was elsewhere on Thursday and I actually got lost going to The Bay Leaf.  I found myself out Kragga Kamma way wondering where I was going, what I was doing, and how I was going to get back.  I was totally disoriented!  Once I arrived at The Bay Leaf,  Margaret Zoetmulder (many, many years my senior!) laughed and took way too much pleasure in telling me that I'm just getting old.  Can't help but love her!!!


This week's Crawlers
Vicki, Beth, Daniel, Fran, Nomusa, Stella, June,
 Beryl, Margaret, Gail, Prudie, Mandy

For much of our visit to The Bay Leaf, Crawlers Margaret Zoetmulder, Beth Vieira, Vicki Minnaar, Gail Darne, June Nash and her grandson Daniel, Nomusa Nkomo, Stella and Beryl Dawson, Fran and Mandy de Beer, Prudie Brown, caught up with Mandy and Prudie who are both visiting from out of town.  It was so nice seeing them both again.  We also discussed venue possibilities for the upcoming 4-year PECC anniversary.  Many ideas but no decision made yet.  We have a whole month so I'm sure we'll come up with something spectacular!


Chai latte


Thule is sooooo photogenic!


Our Bay Leaf revisit proved to be a wonderful start to 2015.  We're all looking forward to the Crawling adventures that the new year has in store for us.

~Thank you to Cherese and the Bay Leaf staff
~Congratulations to Dale Mitchell on the birth of her great grandson - January 10
~Happy Birthday to Crawler Dale Mitchell - January 17
~Happy Birthday to Grant Foong! - January 17

Until next week (music to my ears!),

Ellen

2 comments:

  1. WAIT...you got FRAMED and hung on a coffee shop wall? You have officially made it. PE fame...

    ReplyDelete