Backyard gazebo

Backyard gazebo
Enjoying a cup at home

Monday, November 14, 2011

Deli Street Cafe

I can't tell you how many times Deli Street Cafe comes up when people are "talking coffee" in PE.  So, the Crawlers decided it was finally time we visited the cafe located at 24-26 Stanley Street.  Lou and I frequent the many restaurants situated on and around Stanley Street.  It's a fun little area in Richmond Hill.



Meet the Owner and Barista
Tristan and Daniel


















My initial impression as I entered Deli Street Cafe on Thursday was that if I had to choose the set for Act II of Puccini's La Boheme this would be it.  Seriously, that's really the first thing that popped into my head.  I've had visions of Mimi and Rodolfo et al being all bohemian at the cafe ever since!  The eclectic decor and furnishings, a small clothes/accessory boutique within the cafe, and a display of freshly baked artisan breads combined to create a busy, fun, and very "chill" atmosphere.  Owner, Tristan Tait told me that he has regulars at the shop who find a spot and spend hours either on their computers, reading, or hanging out with friends.  He loves this relaxed feel of his shop and welcomes everyone to come in and enjoy spending some down time there.  I had the opportunity to meet numerous staff members including baristas, Daniel and Luthando, and first-day-on-the-job waitress, Jess.  What a great group!  They'd all be awesome extras on the La Boheme set! 

Deli Street's hours are Mon, 7:30-2:30, Tues-Sat, 7:30-10:00pm, and Sun, 10-2.  In keeping with the coffee shop style, the daytime and evening fare is light and casual.  If you're out late and don't want a heavy meal this is the perfect place for something light to eat and topped off with a night cap.


Meet the Barista
Luthando

Meet our Waitress
Jess
















Aside from being the owner, Tristan is a barista with nine years experience who has trained Daniel and Luthando.  With that in mind I put them to the test by ordering three rounds, an Americano, a cappuccino, and a machiato.  In return I got three excellent Urban Espress beverages..... and some hard-core coffee jitters (the latter being my own fault!).

While this week's Crawlers, Les Baldwin, Nomusa Nkomo, Leanne Waller, June Nash, Beth Vieira, Angela Caldeira, Stella and Beryl Dawson, Annette Tyropolis, and Fran and Keith de Beer, settled in, ordered, and were served their coffees many took the opportunity the check out the boutique and the bakery.  The scarves, dresses, hats, and accessories were very cool however, I went straight to the breads and purchased what ended up being THE BEST CIABATTA I've had in PE!  If you haven't tried it, it is well worth making a special trip to get a few loaves.



This Week's Crawlers
Beryl, Stella, Annette, Fran, Keith, Beth, Angela, Les, Leanne, Nomusa, June

The Best Ciabatta in Town!!!


















Restoring and distressing furniture was one of the conversation topics at the table.  My only two attempts at restoring furniture were an upright piano and a vanity/chest of drawers.  Both turned out beautifully but what a lot of work!  The Crawlers then talked about the coffee shop Drive-Thru.  I mentioned that Heavenly Cup, a wonderful coffee shop in Painted Post, NY where my son, Jeff, got his barista training, had a drive-thru window for those on-the-go.... quite popular and a real money-maker from what I gather.  Starbucks, I hear, doesn't do the drive-thru thing because "it ruins the atmosphere."  My thoughts on the subject..... hey, if the coffee is good who cares if it's in a to-go cup?  But, to each his own.


Boutique Manager
Erranae
















Keith's useless fact-of-the-week and I quote.... "I am led to believe that the first tea bags were patented in 1903 in NY and were made of silk."  I didn't check on this, Keith, since you started your statement with something sounding like a disclaimer!

One last thing - If anyone knows where a performance of La Boheme is playing in South Africa please let me know... I suddenly got the opera itch!

~Thank you to Tristan and staff for running a coffee shop with real character
~Belated Veteran's Day wishes to all military veterans around the world
~A big Hello and shout-out to the Heavenly Cup staff in Painted Post, NY!!!

Until next week,

Ellen







5 comments:

  1. Zank-you Ellen, I think I shall stop by soonish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to Ellen 'cos you were making me feel insecure about anything I said. I will now revert to my "general knowledge of useless information" which by me passing it on will make you all sleep better at night knowing what I have told you.
    Lekker slaap en sien jou more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Richmond Hill has produced a number of stunning restaurants and coffee shops and this is one of them. Truly worth a visit. Suddenly I feel like coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhh but since the crawl drinking coffee in my car out of a paper cup just feels like hitting rock bottom!

    ReplyDelete