Backyard gazebo

Backyard gazebo
Enjoying a cup at home

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Deli Biscotti

Holy Cow!!!... here it is, Coffee Crawl eve and I'm just getting last week's Crawl posted!  The week just got away from me.  I would blame it on carving jack-o-lanterns and roasting pumpkin seeds but those things really don't take that long.  A Happy Halloween to everyone... hope you all had fun whatever it is you did on Monday!


















 Last week's Coffee Crawl site was #38 for those of you who have not been counting.  Up to this point I have shied away from going to coffee shop chains.  So, what possessed me, then, to choose Deli Biscotti (since 1945) in King's Court on Buffelsfontein Rd. in Walmer Heights, I have not a clue.  Anyway, as with most chain shops, what Deli Biscotti lacks in any kind of atmosphere it certainly makes up for in a tried and true menu and some decent coffee.  The cappuccino I had was very good, my second round Biscotti Hotti (white hot chocolate w/a shot of espresso) was awesome!



Meet the Barista
Jesse

















Deli Biscotti has been at the main entrance of King's Court for four years.  The shop is comfortable and the staff, pleasant, so if your feet are tired after shopping it is a nice place to rest and have a snack or enjoy one of their Ciro brand coffees.  Owner, Lorette Dewing, and barista, Jesse were kept busy on Thursday with a steady stream of customers so I didn't have an opportunity to speak with either except to get their names and a picture of Jesse (Lorette is camera shy, so no pic of her).


Conversation among the Crawlers, June Nash, Stella and Beryl Dawson (welcome back, ladies!), Gail Darne, Fran and Keith de Beer, Beth Vieira, and Fr. Dominic Griego, started off with Halloween history and traditions.  Halloween is not a big holiday here in SA so I knew not to expect trick-or-treaters on Monday night.  The Halloween theme continued as Fran told us that she was digging into her genealogy and had dusted off some skeletons in her family closet.  No worries, Fran, I suppose we all have out share of "horse thieves and bootleggers" in our family histories.  Fran also told us what her daughter, Mandy, named her model desk skeleton but the name eludes me at the moment.


This Week's Crawlers
June, Stella, Beryl, Keith, Gail, Beth, Fran
not pictured- Fr. Dominic




















Keith's useless fact-of-the-week.... The only South African invention to have traveled to the moon is Pratley Putty.  NASA chose this as one of the adhesives that they used on the Ranger Moon Module Project in 1967.  Cool or what? 

And lastly, I know this is way old news but I have to conclude my Rugby World Cup 2011 updates by congratulating the New Zealand All-Blacks on their victory over France in the Finals Match a week ago Sunday.

~Thank you to Lorette and Jesse... the coffee was great!
~A belated Happy Birthday to Stella Dawson - Oct 25

Hoping to be more timely this week, 

Ellen

4 comments:

  1. Gosh mom, it's about time...I was starting to think your other children were visiting or something! As for the drink you mentioned with the white hot chocolate and the espresso, at Starbucks we call it a "white mocha," one of my favorites. Speaking of chains, I would like you to mention to the crawlers that it is largely due to the Port Elizabeth Coffee Crawl that I now feel the need to terminate my employment at Starbucks. It hasn't been the same since I returned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This place is around the corner from me but I've never been to it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aha! I found you! I can't wait to tour your blog. I am in a brain fog having just gotten home at 1 pm EST Sunday. I haven't napped . . trying not to. Thank you so much for making the trip extra special! Take care,
    Michelle Engarto

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellen,
    I am guessing that since you had to do all of your own meal preparation, and because it happened BEFORE everyone else was there, there wasn’t any of your priceless “bumper car business” happening in that kitchen!! I will NEVER forget that story, & it never has the same effect when I re-tell it to anyone. I am so very thankful for you & ALL of the laughs we always have together!!
    ~ Kari

    ReplyDelete