Backyard gazebo

Backyard gazebo
Enjoying a cup at home

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Deo Volente

Spring has sprung!!!

South Africans (or at least the ones I know) celebrate Sept 1st as the unofficial beginning of Spring... kind of like Labor Day Weekend being the unofficial end of the summer in the U.S. (Oh, that's this weekend, isn't it?).  So, right out of the blocks on Thursday, on my way to this week's Crawl destination, I received a call from a friend here wishing me a Happy Spring!  Then, once at Deo Volente, Fran de Beer surprised this week's Crawlers, Keith de Beer, Stella and Beryl Dawson, Beth Vieira, June Nash, Gail Darne, and me with daisies from her garden to celebrate the occasion.  Thank you, Fran... what a great way to start the day!  Someone must have tipped my husband off about the Spring thing because he arrived at home on Wednesday after work with roses for me that he bought on a street corner for R20 and an apple!  How romantic.

This Week's Crawlers
Beryl, Stella, June, Fran, Keith, Beth, Gail
 
 In either case, everyone was in a festive mood for this week's Crawl.  We met Deo Volente's owner, Margie Peel, in the parking lot as she was just leaving to do some errands.  She happily welcomed us, chatted for a bit, and made sure we were all settled before she continued with her morning's activities.  It was great talking with you, Margie.  Hopefully, we'll be able to continue our conversation soon.

Deo Volente, located at 29 5th Ave in Newton Park, has been an integral part of this area of PE for two and a half years. Owners and patrons of the many businesses in Newton Park keep Margie and staff busy M-F, 7-4:30, and Sat. 8-2.  The shop seats about 32 customers for regular business and about 50 people for small functions. 



Meet the Owner
Margie Peel
 
Meet the Barista
Emmanuel

 
















Now, I am a real fan of hardwood floors, so when we entered the shop and I saw the beautiful wood floors with complementing wood tables to match, I thought that this is how I would furnish a coffee shop if I ever opened one.  In an effort to support local talent, Margie has decorated the walls of Deo Volente with works by PE artists and photographers.  All the pieces are for sale so the decor is constantly changing as patrons purchase wall hangings that catch their eye.  The walls are filled with pieces of varying styles so it's not difficult to find something you like.  At some point during our visit, everyone took an opportunity to check out the tremendous selection of paintings and photographs.  In keeping with the local theme, Margie has chosen Masterton's "Out of Africa" blend for the shop's barista, Emmanuel, to use as he whips up all of the coffee beverages.  When I make a Masterton's run I usually go for the "Cameo on Black Velvet" beans and a blend called "Dawn Patrol."  I really like both but "Out of Africa" was out-of-this-world!  The cups were nice and hot, as well.  Thanks, Emmanuel, my cappuccino and Americano were awesome!

 So, what was it that Tennyson said?.... "In the Spring a young man's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of love."  This week's talk at the table started with Beth's announcement that her son, Carlos, and his girlfriend, Angela, are engaged.  Congrats to both of you!  Those of you who are regular readers, Angela was at the Coffee Crawl on St. Pat's Day at Keg and Swan.  Quite a crowd we had that day!!!

With all this talk of Spring my brain automatically thinks April/May time frame.  Along that line, the Crawlers then discussed April Fool's Day and the lengths some people will go to to pull off a good prank.  As a teacher in NY I always gave an outrageously difficult pop quiz on April 1st, putting my students into a real panic.  I'm certainly not the only teacher to do this so I just don't get why the kids always fell for it!?!

Also with Spring comes the realization that Christmas is just around the corner... WHAT?!?  Sorry, hemisphere confusion strikes again.  But, we really did then get onto the subject of Christmas.  I definitely need to get going on writing my cards.  When I sent birthday cards to my father-in-law and sister earlier this year it took two and a half months to get to the U.S.  I'd better get my holiday cards mailed soon!

 The Crawlers' last topic before Keith revealed his useless fact-of -the-week was rhinoceros poaching... a real problem here in SA.  Some game parks have taken to surgically removing the rhinos' horns to prevent poaching.  Very sad.

 Now, on to Keith's useless fact.  Keith told us that the color of the 100 billionth Crayola crayon was periwinkle.  Keith, ek is jammer man maar jy is verkeerd.  When I checked the official Crayola website, the 100 billionth Crayola crayon color was actually "blue ribbon," a one time only color created for the occasion.  It was in Feb, 1996 and Fred Rogers of "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood" fame was chosen to pour the mold.  Keith, I'm a teacher... I will randomly check your facts just to keep you honest, buddy!

 I read a quote once that said, "Science has never drummed up quite as effective a tranquilizing agent as a sunny Spring day."  Amen to that!!!

~Thank you to Margie and staff... Deo Volente was the perfect shop for the Crawlers to celebrate Spring
   Day!
~Thank you to all who wished me a Happy Spring Day on Thurs!
~Thank you for the roses, Louis!
~Happy Spring to all southern hemisphere readers!
~Happy Labor Day Weekend to all U.S.readers!

 Until next week,

Ellen

3 comments:

  1. Tannie, that useless fact came from an American useless fact website. At least he/she got the color of blue correct or did the guys at Crayola not count correctly - was someone interrupted while counting and had to start over?? You are now putting pressure on me that's why I gave you two useless facts - the bees was the other.
    Geniet die res van die naweek en wens Lou 'n voerspoedige en genietvolle reis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Official or not official, I'm just glad summer is getting closer and that spring is here

    ReplyDelete
  3. Atlanta was cold and very fall-esque today and I loved it. Second fall this year. WOOOO!!!!!

    ReplyDelete