Backyard gazebo

Backyard gazebo
Enjoying a cup at home

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

La Vela Cafe

This week's post marks the half-year point of the PE Coffee Crawl!  It doesn't seem possible that as of last Thursday we've visited 26 coffee shops.  The response I've gotten from readers, coffee shop owners and staff, and the Crawlers has been tremendous...thank you all for your support in this endeavor. 

In an effort to introduce readers to PE while simultaneously finding my way around the city, I've tried to get to as many areas of town as possible.  For some reason, Summerstrand (the beachfront), has fallen off my radar screen.  In order to rectify this situation, and also to show Liz the beachfront, this week's crawl took us to La Vela Cafe on Shark Rock Pier, Marine Drive, in Summerstrand.  In the past year, Lou and I have been to the beachfront for the Splashfest, to watch the Ironman triathlon events, or to just walk along the boardwalk.  This area of PE is a real draw for tourists visiting in the summer (Nov. - Feb.) though "a day at the beach" is not uncommon, given pleasant temperatures, even in the winter months (June - Aug.).



Shark Rock Pier

A light breeze blowing, sunny skies and temperatures in the low 80s, and a table overlooking the pier and Hobie Beach...that describes the setting as this week's Crawlers, Stella and Beryl Dawson, Gail Darne, June Nash, Fran and Keith de Beer, Beth Vieira, Les Baldwin, Nomusa Nkomo, and my daughter, Liz, met at La Vela Cafe.  Our very personable waiter, Slumko Skeyi, and our talented barista, Thembi Mkosi, welcomed us and got straight to work filling our usual orders of cappuccinos and black coffees with LavAzza brand coffee.  A second round at the table was served while I was chatting with La Vela manager, LaDonna Goeda, who informed me that La Vela (which means "to sail" in Italian and accounts for the nautical theme of the cafe) has been open for a year and a half serving beachgoers breakfast, lunch, and dinner 7 days a week.  So, for your next trip to the beach, no need to pack a cooler or picnic basket, with La Vela nearby, just grab your towel and go!

Once back at the table, I ordered a machiato (my new favorite since Shaun recommended it a few weeks ago) for my second round.  Well, folks, when I become rich and famous and can hire a personal barista, Thembi is at the top of my list...yes, my cappuccino and machiato were that good!!! 

Coffee was actually a topic of conversation at the table on Thursday, with Fran and Keith telling us of their best and worst coffees ever...and both during their recent vacation.  Fran and Keith, correct me if I'm wrong, but the best cup was at the Coffee Farm you visited.  All I remember about the worst was that it tasted like stagnant river water mixed with instant coffee granules...all I can say is, glad I wasn't there.  More vacation stories were told by the Crawlers, including Stella and Beryl's trip to Cape St. Francis, which was extended by almost a week due to a washed out bridge, which left them stranded on an island.  With that experience, maybe they should apply to be on the next season of Survivor.  Other travel tales included "interesting" border crossings around the world.  I'm sure many of you readers have some good stories of international border crossings...feel free to share if you'd like. 

As part of our recount of out recent trip to Zim, Liz and I told of our tasting Mopani worms (yes, the same that I spoke of Lou eating a number of posts ago).  Along the topic of worms, Keith's useless fact of the week: 1.3 km of silk thread is harvested from 1 silkworm cocoon.  Keith, I can now die happy knowing that.  Thanks, buddy!  And speaking of dying...what a segue!...the talk at the table turned to wills.  My children have decided, that on the occasion of my death, my grand piano at home in NY should go to the one who wins a "play off."  I'm actually considering it.

And lastly, my son Jeff requested a vote for favorite of my children of the Crawlers.  Christopher, they haven't met you yet so it's between Jeff and Liz.  Well, the votes have been counted and Jeff wins by a landslide, only because he's got that handsome scruffy look that appealed to the ladies.  Liz, you got Les' and Keith's votes...reason...you're much easier on the eyes than Jeff is.  For Keith's pundit view on the election, see his comment on the High Tea @ Pixel post! 

What a post!...travel, politics, leisure, business...we've got it all!!  Stay tuned for next week's special posting which will highlight some young baristas in training. 

Thank you to:
~ LaDonna, for your Italian lesson!
~ Thembi, for sharing your awesome barista skills with us and for considering my personal barista offer.
~ Slumko, waiter extraordinaire!
~ To travel agents around the world, especially to Lauren

Until next week,

Ellen

This Week's Crawlers
Beryl, June, Fran, Keith, Les, Beth, Ellen, Nomusa, Liz, Gail, Stella

Meet our Waiter and the Barista
Slumko Skeyi and Thembi Mkosi

Meet the Manager
LaDonna Goeda

2 comments:

  1. I'm trying to remember how many times that place has changed names since it was a nightclub called Einstein's in the early 90's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tannie, ons het die slegste koppie koffie in Graskop gedrink - of liewers bietjie gedrink - asook die beste cappiccino by die Sabie Vallei Koffie Plaas.

    But as far as the best cup of black coffee - how I drink it - is concerned the jury is still out as there are three places in PE that the coffee is really good according to my taste. Maybe it's because of the sheer volume and value for money two are bottomless whilst the third has refills at R4. Time will tell.

    ReplyDelete