Backyard gazebo

Backyard gazebo
Enjoying a cup at home

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Deo Volente - Crawl #30 Revisited



For those of you who are regular readers of this blog you're aware that the last two "Revisits" we've done are shops #20 and #21.  Now the Crawlers have jumped to Revisit #30.  As I was going through my notes to see which coffee shop was next in the queue to revisit, I flipped through page after page of notes on shops that have closed since our first visits in 2011.  So, before I get started with this week's feature coffee shop, I'll go down the list of coffee shop closures.
 
   #22 - live Eat. love on Centenary Rd. in Lorraine (July, 2011 post) - closed
   #23 - Cafe Ro-Ann on Villiers Rd. in Walmer (July, 2011 post) - closed
   #24 - Urban Blend on 3rd Ave. in Newton Park (July, 2011 post) - closed
   #25 - High Tea @ Pixel on Main Rd. in Walmer (July, 2011 post) - closed
   #26 - La Velle @ the Beachfront (Aug, 2011 post) now Angelo's
   #27 - Kids Who Care Coffee Shop (Aug, 2011 post) - this was a once off school fund raiser
   #28 - Lavender's Courtyard Cafe on Clevedon Rd. in Richmond Hill (Aug, 2011 post) - closed
   #29 - EAT on Main Rd. in Walmer (Aug, 2011 post) - closed

Finally, when I got to coffee shop #30, Deo Volente (see Sept, 2011 post), I found that it is still open and offering food and beverages to PE patrons six days a week.  YAY!


Meet Staff Member Ester
Meet the Barista
Manny























Owner Margie Peel opened Deo Volente in February, 2009 at 29 5th Ave. in Newton Park but has since moved down the street to 37 5th Ave.  There you will find friendly staff members Ester and Manny ready to serve up breakfast, lunch, cakes and Pavin brand coffee.  Deo Volente is a small coffee shop with a country decor set in a quiet neighborhood....perfect for a nice relaxing morning with friends.

Deo Volente seats about 25 inside, plus there is room for 5-6 more on the patio.  The shop's hours are Mon-Fri, 7-4; Sat, 8-2; closed on Sunday.  Call 041 364 0531 for take aways.









As Crawl groups go lately, Thursday's (May 15) was relatively small with Crawlers Stella and Beryl Dawson, Gail Darne (the birthday girl), Sylvia  Mynhardt, Nicolette Hijmans, Margaret Marshall, Margaret Zoetmulder, Lee Rodwell, Pierrette De Winne, Janny Meierink, joining me.  The Deo Volente Crawl was the first one post Easter/US trip for us.  We had another Crawl on May 22 which I will post later but for now, I'm headed out again, this time to explore more of  this beautiful country.  Lou and I will be spending the next few weeks on a road trip; we expect to be back in mid June.  Perhaps we'll come across some cool coffee shops along the way!


This Week's Crawlers
Margaret M., Sylvia, Stella, Gail, Lee,
Margaret Z., Pierrette, Beryl
not pictured - Janny and Nicolette




~Thank you to Ester and Manny for a wonderful revisit
~Happy Birthday to my brother, Chuck, in Erie, PA - June 17

Until mid June,

Ellen














3 comments:

  1. Port Elizabeth seems to have a big turnover of coffee shops and restaurants. I don't know if its a case of not planning properly, not doing their research before opening, having too big expectations or just such a over supply of them that there just isn't enough business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love coffee! Latte macciato, espresso and Turkish - but I see that Port Elizabeth is sunny and green place. Greetings from Poland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can I contact Ellen? I am keen on joining. Get me at emkay@global.co.za (Marg)

    ReplyDelete