Backyard gazebo

Backyard gazebo
Enjoying a cup at home

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Halloween at Barnacles






The day before last week's Halloween Crawl Lee Rodwell came over to my house to help me carve jack-o-lanterns.  This was her first time ever carving pumpkins and she did an amazing job!  I've never been much of an artist/sculptor so, despite my fifty-plus years of annual pumpkin carving experience, Lee's turned out way better than mine.  Kudos to Lee!  The pumpkin seeds I roasted Wednesday morning were delicious though.

Watch where you point that knife, Lee!


Lee and her first ever jack-o-lantern!


Lee's and my finished products

Thursday morning Lee and I arrived at Barnacles with our jack-o-lanterns to decorate the table for the Halloween Crawl.  I also brought along other decorations and themed napkins that I had Lou pick up in the States a few weeks earlier.  Crawlers June Nash, Leanne Waller, Nicolette Hijmans, Vicki Minnaar, Margaret and Arthur Marshall, Lee Rodwell, Margaret Zoetmulder, Beth Vieira, Stella and Beryl Dawson, Sylvia Mynhardt, and my husband, Lou, arrived dressed either in black-and-orange or in costume to find the table decorated for what was, for most of them, their first Halloween celebration ever.

This Week's Crawlers
Margaret Z., Nicolette, Lee, Vicki, June, Lou, Leanne,
Beryl, Stella, Margaret M., Sylvia, Beth, Arthur


Meet the Barista
Sunette, pulling an enormous spider
 off of the coffee machine
Sir, there's a spider in my cappuccino.....
























Barnacles, located at 1 Elizabeth Rd. in Seaview, proved to be the perfect venue for our Halloween Crawl.  Owner Lomo du Plessis and his wife/Barnacles' barista, Sunette, added witches, skeletons and pumpkins to the restaurant's nautical decor to create a spooky but fun atmosphere for the October 31 holiday.




Barnacles is actually a fully licensed, full-service restaurant with an expansive view of the Indian Ocean.  They offer separate menus for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and keep House of Coffee brand coffee beverages brewing all day.  The venue seats about 200 inside and outside combined.  The amount of seating available coupled with the authentic nautical decor and view make for a fabulous setting for a seaside wedding, family party or corporate function.  For details or to book your next event call 041 378 2058 or email Lomo at: blokwach@telkom.sa.net

Once monthly Barnacles features a live music night with food and drink specials offered all evening.  Sounds like a great way to spend a weekend night with friends!  For times and dates of these music night events check them out on Facebook:   Barnacles Seaview.
Barnacles' hours are Mon-Sat, 9-9 and Sun, 9-3.


It isn't Halloween without the candy
The Crawlers' first ever
candy corn
(goes really well with hot chocolate!)
























Okay, so on Thursday we had jack-o-lanterns, decorations, and guests in costumes......but, when all is said and done, what really makes it Halloween is the candy.  I brought along to the Crawl pumpkin buckets full of trick-or-treat candy that totally went with our cappuccinos and Americanos.  I also brought with me some candy corn that Lou bought in the States.  None of the Crawlers had ever seen or tasted candy corn...... another first!  They all seemed to enjoy it.


Witches on a whale watch

After having our fill of candy and coffee the Crawlers spent some time staring out into the ocean trying to spot whales which only a week before were there in droves.  None were spotted but we all enjoyed the beautiful view and nice warm weather from the deck of Barnacles (and to think of all the Halloweens when I went trick-or-treating in the snow!!!).

I have to say that this Crawl will go down in the books as one of my most memorable Halloweens ever.....the year I introduced Halloween to my South African friends......thank you, Crawlers!!!!!

~Thank you to Lomo and Sunette for hosting our Halloween Crawl.
~Congratulations to Fran and Keith de Beer on the birth of their granddaughter - November 5
~Happy Birthday to our only on St. Pat's Day Crawler, Clary - November 6
~Happy Birthday to my niece, Julie, in Pittsburgh, PA - November 10

Until next week,

Ellen

More pics from our Halloween Crawl.....
























Shall you fly first or shall I?




























Three pumpkins and a spider walked into a bar..........






2 comments:

  1. Hi please tell me were you got your pumpkins I am having a party and the theme is Halloween and I have looked every where and just not find that pumpkins.
    thank you
    Bianca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bianca, I usually get pumpkins at Fruit and Veg or Woolworths

    ReplyDelete