Backyard gazebo

Backyard gazebo
Enjoying a cup at home

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Cafe Ruwach

























Oftentimes when a coffee shop is suggested to me and I'm not exactly sure where it is, I go scope it out in advance.  Well, that's what happened this week.  With Colleen's recommendation in mind, Beth and I cruised around on Tuesday (Jan 29) until we found Cafe Ruwach, located at 70 Campbell St. in Richmond Hill.  I made a quick stop in, said "Hi" to the co-owner, Charmaine Strauss, thought "What a cool coffee shop," made a reservation for Thursday morning, and then Beth and I were off.  I was in for quite a surprise, then, on Thursday when I arrived at Cafe Ruwach and saw painted on the wall and printed in the menu a "disclaimer" of sorts.  Apparently, Cafe Ruwach is actually not a coffee shop but rather, as it says on their business card, an Art and Craft Gallery.


The Discalimer
 
















It is that for sure.  At Thursday's Crawl everyone took the opportunity to check out the five rooms and the patio all filled with nicknacks, carvings, jewelry, beautiful scarves, and amazing art work.  Most of the arts and crafts in the shop are created by local artists including Cafe Ruwach's other co-owner, Henk Strauss.  Within each room there are picnic style tables that accommodate a total of about sixty customers.  A really unique feature in the shop is the front room where we were seated for the Crawl.  This room is inside but has the decor and feel of an outside garden with large plants all around and tables situated on rock beds.... just beautiful!  A special touch that the Strausses have incorporated into the decor is the Cafe Ruwach personalized tablecloth adorning most of the tables.  In speaking with co-owner Charmaine about the unique decor and the wonderland ambience of the shop, she gives all the creative credit to co-owner, chef, and husband, Henk.


Meet the Owners
Henk and Charmaine Strauss








 






















Cafe Ruwach (Ruwach being a Hebrew word for "creative breath of God) has been in business for three years.  Over these years the menu, which includes breakfast, lunch, and light meals, has changed from time to time.  One thing that has remained constant, though, is the Sumatran brand filter coffee and the Nesspresso brand specialty beverages.  Awesome coffee, Charmaine!

Cafe Ruwach's hours are Mon-Fri, 8:30-4 and Sat, 8:30-2.  The shop is also open on Friday evenings from 6:30 p.m.till late.  A booking is essential for Friday evenings..... call 041 582 3245.  The venue is available for private functions... what a fun place for a small gathering... call the number above to book.  As for parking, there's plenty of space on Campbell and the perpendicular streets.



This Week's Crawlers
Beryl, Colleen, Beth, Stella, Nomusa, Gail, June,
Margaret, Vicki, Fran, Marie, Cayle

















Lots of news from the Crawlers this week....we got started off on Thursday with Margaret's and Vicki's announcements that their 17th and 5th grandchildren, respectively, are on the way.  Congrats to both of you... it's way easier becoming a grandparent isn't' it ladies?  Then my big news of the day was that, after much badgering from family and friends, I finally broke down and got a Facebook.  I don't imagine I'll spend much time on it, though I can see how people could fritter away hours just getting through the news feed.  Marie's news was that this would be her last Crawl as she will be starting back to work again.  She brought baby Cayle along, and the other Crawlers, Beth Vieira, Vicki Minnaar, Margaret Zoetmulder, Gail Darne, Stella and Beryl Dawson, Fran de Beer, Nomusa Nkomo, June Nash, Colleen Le Roux, spent lots of time ooh-ing and aah-ing over him.  Cute, cute, cute baby.


Personalized tablecloth

And for those of you who are wondering about the straw wrapper tied in a knot.... after being served my fruit shake on Thursday I absentmindedly tied the straw wrapper, much to the questioning eyes of the Crawlers.  I told them that I'd been doing that since I was about 8.  It was back then that my protective older sister, Elaine, said that if I ever got lost or kidnapped to tie my straw wrappers so she could follow the trail and find me.....Hansel and Gretel style.  I'm glad we never had to put that plan into action.... pretty sure it wouldn't have worked.  Needless to say, I still tie my straw wrappers out of pure habit.  I think Elaine does too!





~Thank you to Charmaine and Henk.... I love Cafe Ruwach!
~Thank you to Colleen For suggesting Cafe Ruwach.
~Thank you to Nomusa for sharing tomatoes from her garden with the Crawlers.
~Thank you to Beth for bringing the Red Velvet Cake recipe... just in time for Valentine's Day!
~Congrats to the Baltimore Ravens - Super Bowl Champs!!!!

Until next week,

Ellen



3 comments:

  1. looks like a great place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. pretty sure they use Mastertons, have a look at the coasters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sign on the wall says Sumatran and the coasters say Masterton's. I asked Charmaine about the discrepancy and she cleared it up for me. They're just using up extra coasters they had sitting around but actually use Sumatran for the filter and Nesspresso for the espresso beverages.

      Delete