Backyard gazebo

Backyard gazebo
Enjoying a cup at home

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Flavours

When I started this blog a year ago my friend from NY, Jackie, asked me if there were really enough coffee shops in PE to keep a blog going for a while.  I responded with a onfident and enthusiastic, "Yes," figuring "a while" meant six months... tops.  Well, as of last Thursday's Crawl to Flavours, the PE Coffee Crawlers have visited a year's worth of coffee shops.  That's right, 52 and counting!  Who would have thought?



Meet the Owners
Elmarie and Richard Moore























It's not typical for me to do a pre-Crawl scouting trip but when I was out and about early last week doing some errands I found myself in the vicinity of Flavours and decided to check it out.  I had a chance then to talk to owner, Richard Moore about the shop, tell him about the Crawl, and purchase some goodies to take home.  By the time Thursday's Crawl rolled around I was looking forward to a return trip to Flavours to spend some time enjoying a few Sumatran Pride cappuccinos with the Crawlers.


Fudge and cookies wrapped and ready to go!



















Flavours is situated in the 17th Quarter on 17th Street in Walmer near GAME.  Richard Moore and his wife, Elmarie, started their bakery/confectionery business from their home a number of years ago.  They eventually outgrew their kitchen and so acquired the 17th Quarter shop from which they have worked for almost two years.  Their primary business is providing homemade fudge, cookies, muffins, scones, savory and sweet pies, and other baked goods to 80 stores in the PE area and as far east as East London and west to Mossel Bay.  Richard and Elmarie operate Flavours Coffee Shop on the premises as well.  The coffee shop's menu includes breakfasts, light lunches, and a variety of hot and cold beverages.  The shop's hours are Mon-Fri, 9-5 and Sat, 9-4.

Along with the bakery, confectionery, and coffee shop the Moores also make lovely gift baskets for all occasions.  Just stop by the shop, choose items from the store's selection of preserves made at local farms, gifts/curios/stationery creations made by talented local artisans, and Flavours' sweets and baked goods to include in a basket, and let Richard and Elmarie do the rest.  With Easter just around the corner one of these beautiful baskets would be the perfect hostess gift.




Meet the Barista
Monique
This Week's Crawlers
Stella, Beryl, June, Beth, Nomusa, Fran
Catherine, Margaret, Keith, Terry
not pictured: Leanne


















The Coffee Crawl usually starts at 9:30 on Thursday mornings.  This past Thursday I needed to buy electricity, and make stops at the bank and post office before the Crawl.  So, anticipating heavy traffic and long lines, I left the house way early so as to make it to the Crawl on time.  Well, light traffic and no lines got me to Flavours early...just as the shop was opening.  Margaret Zoetmulder and family members visiting from the UK, Catherine MacFarland and Terry Murphy, were already there and waiting for me.  We were quickly joined by June Nash, Stella and Beryl Dawson, Fran and Keith de Beer, Beth Vieira, Nomusa Nkomo and Leanne Waller.  By 9:30 our barista, Monique, was busy prepping coffees/teas, and Richard was taking orders for breakfast.  The No-Food-On-The-Crawl rule is becoming a distant memory!  While others took advantage of the R15 coffee/muffin special, I took the recommendation of the SA'ns at the table and ordered roosterkoek with jam and cheese... delicious!  My favorite at Flavours, though, are the Hertzog cookies.  If you like coconut with a hint of apricot, these are phenomenal!  I bought some to take home since I finished off the ones I bought earlier in the week.... I see more gym time in my future!


Cappuccino and Hertzog cookies

Cappuccino and Roosterkoek




















With a year of Crawls under our belts, Thursday's Crawlers shared stories about all the shops we've visited.  A few have closed and a few we wish would close....   We've met many interesting owners/baristas, had a lot of laughs, enjoyed great coffee and conversation, and made memories that I, for one, will truly cherish. 


~Happy Birthday to Crawler, Beryl Dawson (Feb 22)
~Thank you to Richard and Elmarie Moore and the Flavours' staff
~Thank you to the coffee shop entrepreneurs of PE for providing a year's worth of awesome venues for the
   PE Coffee Crawl
~Thank you to Keith for emailing me a recipe for Hertzog cookies.... with Flavours just down the street I
   won't need to try the recipe until we move back to NY!
~Jackie, when you come to visit I'll give you the choice of where to go for coffee....oh sorry... tea!

Until next week,

Ellen

2 comments:

  1. You know the edibles in these photos look pretty good... I'm not sure I could do the no-food rule.... You just have to have a treat with TEA!!!!

    ReplyDelete