Backyard gazebo

Backyard gazebo
Enjoying a cup at home

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Catwalk Caffe

I happened to stumble upon this past Thursday's Crawl site a few months ago while doing some errands on Westbourne Rd.  The Catwalk Caffe was added to my ever-growing list of PE coffee shops.  As the name implies, a dress/accessory/fashion boutique is the premise for the shop.  Needless to say, none of the gentlemen Crawlers joined us for the Dec 1st Crawl!





My twofold plan for Thursday was 1) to enjoy some great coffee and 2) to find something to wear to Lou's Dec 3rd company Christmas party.  Well, I managed to accomplish No. 1 as the PuroFairtrade cappuccinos prepared by barista Jenny was very good and really hit the spot on a blustery, rainy day.  As for No. 2 of the plan, I had no luck finding a dress for the party, though doing the whole "catwalk" thing for my brutally honest SA friends was a good time.  I learned one thing from my brief modeling experience... keep my day job!  Oh right, I already quit my day job when I moved to SA!


Meet the Barista
Jenny

















The Catwalk Caffe is presently located at 37 Westbourne Rd. in Central.  However, after almost two years at this address, owner, Johan Blom is planning to relocate the shop to 3rd Ave. in Newton Park at the end of December.  The Crawlers will have to make a visit to his new digs when he gets settled.  All aspects of the Westbourne Rd. shop, including light meals, main meals, the boutique, special events catering, and Wednesday pensioners' specials, will carry over to the Newton Park site.  Catwalk Caffe's hours are M-F, 8-5 and Sat, 8-2, and will be open for business on Westbourne Rd. for the next few weeks.  Ladies, if you're looking for something glitzy to wear for that special New Year's Eve party, check out the Caffe's sale on evening wear and cocktail dresses.

This Week's Crawlers
Leanne, June, Gail, Stella, Nomusa, Beryl, Fran




















So, I wasn't the only one who modeled some of Catwalk's fashions on Thursday.  Leanne Waller and Nomusa Nkomo also braved the critical eyes (and comments) of fellow Crawlers, Stella and Beryl Dawson, June Nash, Fran de Beer, and Gail Darne.  Both ladies were successful in finding something that met the approval of the Crawlers.

"TIA - This is Africa," a frequently quoted phrase made popular by the movie, Blood Diamond, dominated the conversation at the table on Thursday.  In response to my comments about a two and a half hour oil change last week and the numerous power outages at my house recently, the Crawlers replied, "This is Africa, Ellen!"  I then told everyone about a book (SA author) I read a while back where two pages are dedicated to "TIA."    Funny stuff......   I've been told many times here that anything and everything that goes awry or is confusing can be explained away by "TIA."  So, the next time I'm behind a donkey cart at a traffic light (robot) or am following a herd of cattle down the road to my house, I'll remind myself, "TIA!"

~Thank you to Johan and Jenny--we'll be checking out your new shop in 2012.
~Thank you to this week's Crawlers for braving the weather to join me at Catwalk Caffe!

Until next week,

Ellen


1 comment:

  1. Although a long time watcher of PEDP I only found your site this week. Living in a coffee shop desert (Sheffield, England) I am always delighted to see them in Port Elizabeth. Enjoy! I recently discovered a coffee maker suitable for a single cup and think it is excellent – the Aeropress, which I believe is available in SA. Not cheap but good.

    ReplyDelete