Backyard gazebo

Backyard gazebo
Enjoying a cup at home

Monday, October 10, 2011

Tiffany's Coffee / Tea Garden and Terrace

Okay, picture this.... you're playing a rousing game of TriBond, it's your turn.... get this one right and you win... like ten million Rand!  You need to name the common bond shared by Truman Capote, Henry Mancini, and Audrey Hepburn.  Luckily, you recently read the Oct 10th  PE Coffee Crawl post... so, while screaming out, "Breakfast at Tiffany's," you have just become the world's newest millionaire.... hey, it could happen....

Well, Thursday's "Coffee at Tiffany's" had all the elements of this fictitious TriBond game complete with suspense and Hollywood stars (does a pic of Audrey Hepburn count?), .... and the view was certainly worth a million bucks.



Audrey Hepburn as Holly Golightly
Breakfast at Tiffany's
























This week's Crawlers, Beth Vieira, Les Baldwin, Nomusa Nkomo, Fran and Keith de Beer, June Nash, Gail Backstrom, Jenny Pollitt, Gail Darne, and my husband, Lou, met Thursday at Tiffany's Coffee / Tea Garden and Terrace, a cute little shop tucked into the side of Brookes Hill on Beach Road in Humewood.  Tiffany's owner, Dawn Cooper, was not feeling well so was unavailable for a pic or to chat, but barista/cook, Esther, made sure we were all well cared for.  When I arrived Esther was in the process of making the lemon meringue pies for the day, but stopped to talk with me about the blog.  When everyone else arrived Esther got busy filling orders of Masterton's filter coffee and Ciro cappuccinos.  I must say the cappuccinos were very weak, like there was no coffee under the foam.  My second round of black filter coffee was excellent, though, and I certainly would have liked a piece of that lemon meringue pie to go with it!



Meet the Barista
Esther

This Week's Crawlers
Lou, Les, Nomusa, Gail D., Beth, Keith, June, Gail B., Jenny, Fran




















As I said previously, Tiffany's is built right into Brookes Hill.  There is parking available below on the Beach Road or above next to the new Ocean Basket restaurant.  Either way, there are steps involved but the atmosphere, the nice breeze coming in off the ocean, and the beautiful view are well worth the exercise... even June thinks so!!!  Tiffany's is open daily 8-5 and features a full breakfast/lunch menu along with a list of scrumptious sounding baked goods all freshly made on the premises.  Tiffany's is definitely a place I'll take friends and family when they come here to visit.



View from the Terrace at Tiffany's



Last week at Dessie's I had mentioned to the Crawlers my "dumb human trick" of being able to play the Wm. Tell Overture / Lone Ranger Theme on my cheeks.  Well, this week at Tiffany's I busted out my talent, and I think Gail B. may have even recorded some of it on her phone.  Other dumb human tricks were discussed but no one else cared to share... for now anyway ... I'm sure there's tons of hidden talent among the Crawlers.

Because it was a bit chilly on Thursday morning we chose to sit inside, though the tables on the terrace with nice big umbrellas for shade would provide pleasant seating in warm weather.  Just after my international debut, a look of horror crossed June's face.  I thought, "Okay, I may have been a bit out of tune but it wasn't that bad."  I turned around then just in time to see one of those nice big shade umbrellas (that caught a gust of wind) come crashing into the window behind Nomusa and Lou!!!  Luckily, no broken windows or injured Crawlers!

After that excitement we all decided a good stiff drink would be in order.  Though Tiffany's is licensed we decided not to imbibe but, instead, discuss the Crawlers' wine / whiskey preferences.  Bring on the Jameson's for me ... how many more days till St. Pat's Day?  Liz, you should know!!!

On to Keith's useless fact-of-the-week ... a brooding hen turns her eggs approx 50 times a day.  Keith, you can't get more useless than that... good work!  As for the Rugby World Cup update ... I have the unfortunate job of telling all that SA lost its quarterfinal match to Australia on Sunday.  Now, I think, the semifinals are Wales vs. France on Sat., Oct 15 and New Zealand vs. Australia on Sun., Oct 16.  I'm not sure who the SA'ns cheer for at this point... I'd better ask someone soon.

A Breakfast at Tiffany's explanation for those of you who may be interested:
     The Truman Capote novel, Breakfast at Tiffany's, was published in 1958.
     Henry Mancini composed the soundtrack for the 1961 movie of the same title, based on Capote's novel.
     Audrey Hepburn played the lead in the movie.





Check out another coffee pic that Fran and Keith's daughter, Mandy, sent from Savino's in Cambridge, UK where they make their coffee with water imported from Naples.  Thank you for the pics you've sent so far, Mandy.  Keep them coming!

~Thank you to Esther... can't wait to taste that lemon meringue pie
~A sad farewell to Gail B. and Jenny.  It was great having you at the Crawl these past few weeks.  Keep us
  posted on must-go-to coffee shops in Cape Town.... and send pics.... I'll post them.

Until next week,

Ellen

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous why read it then you wally. Have you got nothing better to do than make rude comments on other peoples blogs and are also spineless as to not use your name or can't you spell it. Afrikaans has a good saying "soort soek soort" so I reckon stupid found stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffany's must be one of the most underrated coffee shops in town. With a view like that who wants to sit in a house somewhere having coffee.

    As for the first comment. Don't worry, just Another-mouse looking for attention. Why read the blog if you don't enjoy it. Everybody does a blog for a different reason and in their own way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was reminded of a funny story about "filter" coffee when I read this. Just last week when I was working at Starbucks, a customer came up to the register and asked my co-worker if we served "filter coffee." She looked confused, because it's not a term we use in the US, and turned to me for help. I laughed and said "yes of course we serve filter coffee...you don't happen to be from South Africa, do you?" And sure enough he said he wasn't from there but he studied in Cape Town and it became habit for him to ask about the filter coffee. My co-worker just stared perplexedly...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who would have ever thought Liz that your barista experience would serve you so well???

    ReplyDelete